As reported by Android Authority,
Credit: Ryan-Thomas Shaw / Android Authority
OnePlus remains well-loved by fans for offering devices with flagship-level features but usually below premium flagship prices. But some features — like camera quality — arguably still suffer more than others.
While the OnePlus 8 Pro is seemingly a taste of better things to come in this regard, co-founder and CEO Pete Lau has committed to investing hugely into the company’s future camera program. Even with this affirmation, OnePlus still has a mountain to climb before it topples the current smartphone camera elite.
We asked readers whether they believe OnePlus can indeed take the camera crown away from the Apples, Googles, and Samsungs of the world in 2021. Here’s what you told us.
Do you think OnePlus will take the photography crown in 2021?
We gave readers the chance to vote on YouTube, Twitter, and our website. While the varied platforms usually give equally varied peeks into user sentiment around the internet, it seems no one has faith in OnePlus. All three platforms provided one-sided results.
On the website, we received around 1,500 votes but just 33.8% of respondents believed OnePlus could accomplish its mission. This would suggest that some of OnePlus’ most ardent fans voted here.
The negative sentiment was more pronounced on Twitter. Nearly 84% of the 4,200 voters believed that OnePlus would not be able to top the 2021 camera quality charts. YouTube mirrored this, with 82% of respondents doubtful of the company’s goal.
Here’s what you had to say
- Harjot Shah: Looking at their current direction of Oppofication, the better question would be if they’d be able to provide a phone with good software.
- lightofjahs: They’d be better off teaming up with Google and using whatever software magic Google is using on their GCam.
- Shawn Diaz: Wish they’d invest in literally any other aspect of the phones. Or just keep them cheap.
- Stanislav Beránek: Voted for no, even if by any miracle they delivered amazing camera with great software for photos, there is no way they would be able to come anywhere close to Apple in video.
- Binoy Mathew: Nope. They have definitely improved a lot. But so have the competition.
- Sam Dunham: I’m a big OnePlus fan, but history doesn’t bode well for this. Their cameras are good, but not Google/Apple good.
That’s it for this OnePlus camera quality poll. Thank you for your votes and comments. If you have any additional thoughts towards OnePlus’ goal of camera royalty or the results of this poll, drop a line down below.